Compensation £60-£70k, plus equity
Contract type Full time, permanent
FabricNano (fabricnano.com) is a venture-backed startup. We aim to revolutionise the synthesis of biomolecules – plastics, fuels, fragrances, flavours, medicines, and more. We immobilize multi-enzyme cascades with increased yield, higher purity, and lower synthesis costs. You would join a passionate team at an exciting stage, contributing to our culture and initial products.
Summary of the role
You will be leading the catalyst team function to deliver high quality immobilized enzyme data in an industrial setting using FN technology. You will take ownership of current catalyst team processes and scientific methods, ensuring their industrial relevance and that best practices are being implemented. The data your team generates in batch and flow reactors will used to impact various commercial decisions. You must be a strong communicator to succeed in this role, making the technical requirements of the catalyst team clear to upstream and parallel functions e.g. the fermentation and assay development teams. You should be comfortable assessing the full range of quantitative requirements for immobilized enzyme quantification and be highly proficient with key analytical techniques such as HPLC, UV/VIS, etc. and master in the associated data analysis required. The right candidate will have the opportunity to impact our people and our business.
What you'll do in this role
- Enable continued success in the catalyst team in a collaborative, transparent and delivery focussed way.
- Nurture excellent scientific results and professional development from the catalyst team to deliver excellent results.
- Take ownership of and refine our current best practices for capturing immobilized enzyme performance data and to lead us to a place beyond existing industry-leading standards.
- Inspire a can-do-attitude heavily geared toward implementing industrial methodologies and speed to data acquisition that should be world class.
- Own and further build out our enzyme immobilization development workstreams and processes by working with the broader team.
- Continue to enable and improve the use of automation to gather key enzyme immobilization metrics by working collaboratively with our automation function.
In the lab:
- Capture key enzyme immobilization metrics within the lab under batch, free and flow reactor enzyme conditions in a rapid and systematic way, sharing outcomes in lab reports and key presentations.
- Design and use of DoE to optimise the best conditions for maximal performance of respective bioconversions
At the desk:
- Ensure excellent and timely scientific documentation for internal and external reports, processes and SOPs from the catalyst team.
- Ensure scientific data is quantified with high accuracy and precision, recorded to a high standard that is both transparent and peer-reviewed.
- Work with the Data Team to capture key results that adhere to FAIR data principles and automate their analysis.
What we're looking for
Experience with the following is E = essential or D = desirable:
- Industrial experience leading a technical function (E)
- Industry leading knowledge of biocatalysis (E)
- Hands-on experience immobilizing enzymes (E)
- Hands-on experience using lab-scale flow-reactors (E)
- You come with batteries included, able to uplift and energise a team to achieve great success (E)
- Excellent experiment design knowledge i.e. DoE would be a plus (D)
What you'll receive
A generous stock option plan 📈
20 days annual leave + 8 days bank holiday 🌞
Generous sick leave and mental health days 🤒
Enhanced parental leave (16 weeks full pay for primary caregiver, 8 weeks full pay for secondary caregiver) 🍼
We partner with Spill to provide remote emotional support to staff 🧠
£200 professional learning and development stipend 🧑🏫
£100 personal development stipend 🎾
Plus books, courses and events. We encourage personal development in every form 📚
Monthly team lunches on us plus weekly bagel mornings 🥯
A range of social events 🎳
Our Company Values
- Always choose candor.
- Be curious about each other’s work.
- Busy doesn't count; results do.
- If you aren't thriving, your work isn't thriving.
- This is your business.
Equal Opportunity Employer. We are proud of our commitment to diversity & inclusion.
How to apply. Applications will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis.