Title Fermentation Scientist
Compensation £45-50k, plus equity
Contract type. Full time, permanent
FabricNano (fabricnano.com) is a three year old venture-backed startup. We are on a mission to transform industrial chemical processes using cell-free biomanufacturing to empower our users with the world’s most advanced, flexible and easily-scalable biocatalyst platform. You’ll be joining our team at a pivotal point in the development of our products and culture helping us build a sustainable future powered by enzymes.
Summary of the role
You will be joining our Upstream team on a mission to produce quality controlled cell-free extracts (CFEs) containing active enzymes. Specifically, you will perform batch and fed-batch fermentations to express enzymes in-house, and perform downstream processing and quality control steps to ensure batch-to-batch reproducibility and ensure the team is meeting outlined critical quality attributes. Additionally, you may be required to optimise fermentation conditions to maximise yield and take on additional fermentation challenges such as the fermentation of new microorganism strains. This pivotal role supports our team of brilliant scientists by building atop our processes and protocols for enzyme production. Success in this role will be enabled through collaboration with existing team members and measured by minimising downtime due to lack of enzyme stocks, its on time production and improving batch-to-batch reproducibility.
What you'll do in this role
- Support the wider lab team with their fermentation needs in line with project and company goals.
- Help build process descriptions and execute fermentations.
- Prepare growth media, reagents and materials under aseptic conditions to minimise contamination risk.
- Share valuable insights from fermentation runs to the wider team in the format of process run report and presentations.
- Ensure on time delivery of enzyme fermentations and delivery of key metrics for client project work.
- Deliver documentation of scientific findings on time and create robust SOPs.
- Contribute to and further develop our current fermentation best practices and processes to ensure a smooth operation.
- Work with the fermentation team to approach more complex fermentation requirements as required by the business.
What we're looking for
Experience with the following is required:
- Industrial experience running fed-batch fermenters.
- Extensive hands-on experience with E.coli fermentation technology for protein production with industrial experience.
- Experience optimising microbial growth and protein expression in bioreactors.
What you'll receive
A generous stock option plan 📈
20 days annual leave + 3 days Christmas closure + 8 days bank holiday 🌞
Generous sick leave and mental health days 🤒
Enhanced parental leave (16 weeks full pay for primary caregiver, 8 weeks full pay for secondary caregiver) 🍼
We partner with Spill to provide remote emotional support to staff 🧠
£200 professional learning and development stipend 🧑🏫
£100 personal development stipend 🎾
Plus books, courses and events. We encourage personal development in every form 📚
Weekly bagel mornings 🥯
A range of social events 🎳
Our Company Values
- Always choose candor.
- Be curious about each other’s work.
- Busy doesn't count; results do.
- If you aren't thriving, your work isn't thriving.
- This is your business.
Equal Opportunity Employer. We are proud of our commitment to diversity & inclusion.
How to apply. Applications will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis.