Title Senior Bioinformatician
Compensation £65-70k depending on experience, plus equity
Contract type Full time, permanent
FabricNano (fabricnano.com) is a venture-backed startup founded at the end of 2018. We are on a mission to transform industrial chemical processes using cell-free biomanufacturing to empower our users with the world’s most advanced, flexible and easily-scalable biocatalyst platform. You’ll be joining our team at a pivotal point in the development of our products and culture helping us build a sustainable future powered by enzymes.
Summary of the role
You’ll be joining our team of brilliant scientists on a mission to deliver biocatalysts to a wide range of industrial processes and help us achieve our vision of a sustainable future powered by enzymes. You’ll need to be a strong communicator across various scientific functions and work with our Data Engineer to ensure that the correct data is being collected and utilised through various workflows. The ideal candidate will bring collaboration, working hand-in-hand with our wet-lab scientists to develop theories and create bioinformatic solutions to enable data-driven wet lab design-build-test-learn cycles. They will need to bring curiosity by the bucket load to truly understand how computational biology can benefit our platform. You will have the opportunity to work at the cutting edge of industrial biocatalysis and where it meets enzyme immobilization. Which is to say: the future.
What you'll be doing
- Lead the bioinformatics strategy at FabricNano guiding the design of protein engineering experiments and supporting the research team in the analysis of results.
- Build on FabricNano’s existing understanding of its immobilization technology by suggesting and testing theories of how they may impact enzyme performance.
- Supporting our Data Engineer to contribute to the development of pipelines for enzyme performance analysis.
- Develop and deploy bioinformatic solutions that are usable by the wider research team to maximise overall productivity and autonomy
- In partnership with the Automation Team, develop recommendations for optimising procedures and processes, focusing on high-throughput enzyme analysis and data accuracy.
- Present complex scientific concepts and data in a clear and concise way, catering to an interdisciplinary audience formed of internal and external stakeholders.
- Work across the teams and proactively engage in knowledge sharing supporting peers and training the research team.
- Leading your fellow scientists and pushing their personal and professional development.
What we're looking for
- 5 years of industry experience in an in silico protein engineering environment
- Experience working alongside a wet lab team
- Experience with protein engineering software e.g. Pymol, Yasara
- Experience modelling protein-surface interactions e.g. docking simulations
- Experience using AlphaFold, Rosetta or other de novo tools
- Proficient in Python
- Has a strong foundational understanding of the central dogma of biology
- Experience as a people manager, enhancing the growth of others
- Strong statistical background
What you'll receive
A generous stock option plan 📈
20 days annual leave + 3 days Christmas closure + 8 days bank holiday 🌞
An additional days' leave with every year of service (up to 10 days) 🗓
Generous sick leave and mental health days 🤒
Enhanced parental leave (16 weeks full pay for primary caregiver, 8 weeks full pay for secondary caregiver) 🍼
We partner with Oliva to provide remote emotional support to staff 🧠
Financial coaching through Bippit 💰
£200 professional learning and development stipend 🧑🏫
£100 personal development stipend 🎾
Plus books, courses and events. We encourage personal development in every form 📚
Weekly bagel mornings 🥯
A range of social events 🎳
Our Company Values
- Always choose candor.
- Be curious about each other’s work.
- Busy doesn't count; results do.
- If you aren't thriving, your work isn't thriving.
- This is your business.
If you have a medical condition or an individual need for an adjustment to our process, and you believe this may affect your ability to be at your best, please let us know so we can talk about how we can best support you and make any adjustments that may be needed.
Equal Opportunity Employer. We are proud of our commitment to diversity & inclusion.
How to apply. Applications will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Applied Research
- Main office
- Remote status
- Hybrid Remote
Loading application form
Already working at FabricNano?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.