Senior Assay Scientist (Enzyme)
Title Senior Assay Scientist
Compensation £50-£60k depending on experience, plus equity
Contract type Full time, permanent
FabricNano (fabricnano.com) is a venture-backed startup. We aim to revolutionise the synthesis of biomolecules – plastics, fuels, fragrances, flavours, medicines, and more. We immobilize multi-enzyme cascades with increased yield, higher purity, and lower synthesis costs. You would join a passionate team at an exciting early stage, contributing to our culture and initial products.
Summary of the role
You will be joining as a key technical member of the Assay Group, collaborating with other technical and lab functions. Your mission is to provide essential analytical chemistry and enzyme assay knowledge, enabling the rapid development of assays, their validation and automation as part of our proprietary platform. You will need to be a strong communicator across all levels and various scientific functions and ensuring that there is high bar of scientific excellence across FabricNano’s assays. As a People Lead you will be responsible for the personal and professional development of your fellow scientists, helping them reach their full potential and pushing the boundaries of science. The right candidate will have the opportunity to impact our people, our assay capabilities, processes, platform and FN as a whole.
What you'll be doing
- Develop, validate and troubleshoot enzyme reactions, reporting progress through lab reports (ELN) and presentations.
- Generate quantitative scientific data that is accurate and precise.
- Make significant contributions towards the technical direction of the Assay Team by supporting our Assay Group Lead in the creation of technical roadmaps and monthly OKRs.
- Support the Assay Team’s automation requirements alongside the in-house Automation Team whilst bringing your own insights.
- Bolster and help improve our assay development and validation processes whilst moving towards FAIR (findable, accessible, interoperable, reliable) data.
- Support the Data Team to capture key results that adhere to FAIR data principles and automate their analysis where possible.
- Ensure the timely reporting of all SOPs internal/external reports at a high standard.
- Leverage your experience to train team members and guide the know-how of the wider team regarding assay development, validation and best practice.
- Lead your fellow scientists and be instrumental in their personal and professional development.
What we're looking for
- 4-5 years’ experience in developing and executing enzyme assays in industry or as a Postdoc
- At least 2-3 years of hands-on HPLC and plate reader experience and troubleshooting
- Experience as a people manager, enhancing the growth of others (supervising the research of PhD students does not count)
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills
- Startup experience a plus
What you'll receive
A generous stock option plan 📈
20 days annual leave + 3 days Christmas closure + 8 days bank holiday 🌞
An additional days' leave with every year of service (up to 10 days) 🗓
Generous sick leave and mental health days 🤒
Enhanced parental leave (16 weeks full pay for primary caregiver, 8 weeks full pay for secondary caregiver) 🍼
We partner with Oliva to provide remote emotional support to staff 🧠
Financial coaching through Bippit 💰
£200 professional learning and development stipend 🧑🏫
£100 personal development stipend 🎾
Plus books, courses and events. We encourage personal development in every form 📚
Weekly bagel mornings 🥯
A range of social events 🎳
Our Company Values
Always choose candor.
Be curious about each other’s work.
Busy doesn't count; results do.
If you aren't thriving, your work isn't thriving.
This is your business.
If you have a medical condition or an individual need for an adjustment to our process, and you believe this may affect your ability to be at your best, please let us know so we can talk about how we can best support you and make any adjustments that may be needed.
Equal Opportunity Employer. We are proud of our commitment to diversity & inclusion.
How to apply. Applications will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Applied Research
- Main office
- Remote status
- Hybrid Remote
Senior Assay Scientist (Enzyme)
Loading application form
Already working at FabricNano?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.