Senior Scientist (Immobilization)
Title Senior Scientist (Immobilization)
Compensation £50-60k depending on experience, plus equity
Contract type Full time, permanent
FabricNano (fabricnano.com) is a venture-backed startup. We aim to revolutionise the synthesis of biomolecules – plastics, fuels, fragrances, flavours, medicines, and more. We immobilize multi-enzyme cascades with increased yield, higher purity, and lower synthesis costs. You would join a passionate team at an exciting early stage to help build our culture and initial products.
Summary of the role
You will be joining fellow pioneers in enzyme immobilization and finding answers to questions that are revolutionising its application in industrial biotechnology today. You will be an enzyme whisperer, immobilizing enzymes to maximise their reaction potential using our core technology. You’ll work collaboratively across our interdisciplinary team of data engineers, enzymologists, automation engineers and beyond. A good understanding of how to handle, measure and characterise immobilized enzymes will serve you well, alongside an impatient attitude to get results we need to make data-led decisions. The right candidate will have the opportunity to impact our people, our assay capabilities, processes, platform and FN as a whole.
What you'll be doing
- Independently setup, analyse and troubleshoot enzyme immobilization experiments.
- Generate quantitative scientific data that is accurate and precise.
- Make significant contributions towards the technical direction of the Matrix Team by supporting our Matrix Group Lead in the creation of technical roadmaps and monthly OKRs.
- Ensure the high standard and timely reporting of all SOPs and internal/external reports.
- Leverage your experience to train team members and guide the know-how of the wider team regarding enzyme immobilization and their characterisation.
- Lead project based work, which include their technical and operational management.
- Lead your fellow scientists and be instrumental in their personal and professional development.
What we're looking for
- 4-5 years’ experience in an enzyme immobilization environment in industry or as a Postdoc.
- Experience leading projects and small teams with multiple stakeholders and scientists.
- Comfortable executing enzymatic assays and interpreting their results.
- Fluency in both technical and conversational English.
- Experience as a people manager, enhancing the growth of others (supervising the research of PhD students does not count).
- Experience in scaling up immobilised enzymatic reactions.
- Experience with flow reactors.
- Experience with transforming low throughput methods into high throughput.
- Enthusiasm for liquid handling robots.
What you'll receive
A generous stock option plan 📈
20 days annual leave + 3 days Christmas closure + 8 days bank holiday 🌞
An additional days' leave with every year of service (up to 10 days) 🗓
Generous sick leave and mental health days 🤒
Enhanced parental leave (16 weeks full pay for primary caregiver, 8 weeks full pay for secondary caregiver) 🍼
We partner with Oliva to provide remote emotional support to staff 🧠
Financial coaching through Bippit 💰
£200 professional learning and development stipend 🧑🏫
£100 personal development stipend 🎾
Plus books, courses and events. We encourage personal development in every form 📚
Weekly bagel mornings 🥯
A range of social events 🎳
Our Company Values
- Always choose candor.
- Be curious about each other’s work.
- Busy doesn't count; results do.
- If you aren't thriving, your work isn't thriving.
- This is your business.
If you have a medical condition or an individual need for an adjustment to our process, and you believe this may affect your ability to be at your best, please let us know so we can talk about how we can best support you and make any adjustments that may be needed.
Equal Opportunity Employer. We are proud of our commitment to diversity & inclusion.
How to apply. Applications will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Applied Research
- Main office
- Remote status
- Hybrid Remote
Senior Scientist (Immobilization)
Loading application form
Already working at FabricNano?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.