Title Protein Scientist
Compensation £40-50k, plus equity
Contract type. Full time
FabricNano (fabricnano.com) is a venture-backed startup established in 2019. We are on a mission to transform industrial chemical processes using cell-free biomanufacturing to empower our users with the world’s most advanced, flexible and easily scalable biocatalyst platform. You’ll be joining our team at a pivotal point in the development of our products and culture helping us build a sustainable future powered by enzymes.
Your mission is to help us design the best permutations of enzymes and proteins required to demonstrate the full potential of our enzyme immobilization technology. A unique feature of our services is the capacity to express and screen the immobilisation conditions of hundreds of enzymes in parallel. This means that you should be ready to roll up your sleeves and get involved with a variety of things from protein and enzyme design, cloning, protein expression, enzymatic assays and general biochemical methods. Success in this role will be enabled by collaboration with our team and be measured by improving our enzyme immobilisation yield and activity.
- Perform and troubleshoot experiments independently.
- Ensure scientific data is quantified with high accuracy and precision and is recorded to a high standard that is both transparent and peer-reviewed where necessary.
- Characterise enzymes and proteins using established biochemical and enzymatic assays.
- Design DNA constructs for cloning, expression and characterisation of recombinant enzymes.
- Conduct recombinant protein expression across a range of scales, including small-scale (high throughput, plate-based), mid-scale (up to 10 mL), and large-scale (up to 500 mL in shake flasks).
- Your work will be within multi-disciplinary teams: flexibility to work on multiple programmes and different functional activities and resilience to move between these are key.
- Responsible for writing platform SOPs, maintaining them, implementing updates and training others in their use.
- Fluency in both technical and conversational English.
- Experience with modern DNA cloning methods including scarless and/ or modular assembly platforms.
- Experience with recombinant protein expression in E. coli and troubleshooting difficult expressions (yield, toxicity, solubility issues).
- Experience with enzyme activity assay methods.
- Awareness of the things you’re not so good at and a strong growth mindset to improve
- Determination to learn and develop, helping others to do the same.
- Experience with liquid handling robots.
- Experience with high-throughput expression systems / enzymatic activity screening
- Experience with basic bioinformatics tools for the analysis of protein sequences (BLAST searches, multiple sequence alignments).
What you'll receive
A generous stock option plan 📈
20 days annual leave + 8 days bank holiday 🌞
Generous sick leave and mental health days 🤒
Enhanced parental leave (16 weeks full pay for primary caregiver, 8 weeks full pay for secondary caregiver) 🍼
We partner with Spill to provide remote emotional support to staff 🧠
£200 professional learning and development stipend 🧑🏫
£100 personal development stipend 🎾
Plus books, courses and events. We encourage personal development in every form 📚
Monthly team lunches on us plus weekly bagel mornings 🥯
A range of social events 🎳
Our company values
- Always choose candor.
- Be curious about each other's work.
- Busy doesn't count; results do.
- If you aren’t thriving, your work isn’t thriving.
- This is your business.
Equal Opportunity Employer. We are proud of our commitment to diversity & inclusion.
How to apply. Applications will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis.